Joining the CBD Revolution? You’re in good company. Thousands of people are turning to CBD to alleviate their aches and pains, relieve their anxiety, control neurological diseases, boost overall well-being, and more. But many people don’t know where to begin when it comes to CBD — especially when it comes to determining the proper dosage. In a perfect world, people would be able to talk to their medical providers about getting on the right CBD regiment; however, we know that it’s not mainstream enough yet to be able to do so. As such, our team is always happy to answer your questions, and in this blog, we’ll take a deep dive into finding the right dosage of CBD for you.
General Dosing Guidelines
As we mentioned above, with CBD being in its infancy as a health supplement, there are no established guidelines for a standard dose. As you’ll see in reading throughout this article, there are a lot of factors that go into determining how to find the right CBD dose for you. As such, it’s best to start using CBD with an open mind, knowing that you may need to experiment a little in order to find what works for you.
There are some general things to keep in mind, though. The first rule of thumb is to start low and go slow. Basically, this means that you should take in a small number of milligrams when you first begin using CBD (many recommend 25mg, 2x daily) in order to see how it affects you. If you aren’t feeling the desired effects from the initial small doses, then you can begin gradually increasing the dosage.
It’s important to note that everyone is different, and what works for someone you know might not work for you. Our unique body compositions, conditions, and chemistries mean that dosages need to be tailored to individuals, and until we have more scientific data to support general guidelines, this is something that individual users will need to discover for themselves.
Although there isn’t much general information available for CBD dosing, there are some substantiated guidelines for specific health issues that have come as a result of clinical trials. For more specific ailments, here are various dosing suggestions as reported by various studies:
- Cancer Patients’ Loss of Appetite: 1mg of CBD for six weeks. [Source]
- Chronic Pain: 2.5-20mg of CBD orally, daily [Source]
- Epilepsy: 200-300mg of CBD orally, daily. [Source]
- Huntington’s Disease and its associated movement problems: 10mg of CBD per kg of body weight orally, daily for six weeks [Source]
- Sleep Disorders: 40mg-160mg of CBD orally, as needed [Source]
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) symptoms: Cannabis plant extracts containing 2.5-120 milligrams of a THC/CBD combination daily for 2-15 weeks. Patients typically use eight sprays within any three hours, with a maximum of 48 sprays in any 24-hour period [Source]
- Schizophrenia: 40-1,280mg orally, daily [Source]
- Glaucoma: A single sublingual CBD dosage of 20-40mg (>40 mg may increase eye pressure) [Source]
Determine What Type of CBD is Best for You
One of the important factors to consider when choosing your CBD is to determine what type of delivery method you’re most interested in. According to Dr. Nick Jikomes, a neuroscientist at Leafly, “CBD has very low oral bioavailability. So if you swallow CBD in pill form, only a fraction of that CBD will end up making it into the bloodstream and exert an effect in the brain or elsewhere in the body. Different routes of administration, such as vaporization, sublingual tinctures, or transdermal patches, provide a more direct route for CBD to enter the bloodstream. This probably allows for a larger proportion of the CBD in those products to enter the bloodstream. So, people interested in CBD products may want to consider experimenting with different routes of administration. A given amount of CBD in pill form may not lead to the same outcomes as an identical amount taken via another route.” We completely agree. There is such a wide array of product types that you may want to try different types and keep an experimental mindset until you find what is optimal for you. With that in mind, the different delivery types offer up various impacts:
- CBD Oil & Tinctures: Perhaps the most popular delivery form of CBD, CBD oil is a tried and true favorite that’s popular for many health reasons. Most CBD oil is ingested by placing the oil under the tongue, holding it there, and then swallowing it. Most users report that they can feel the effects of CBD oil about an hour after ingesting it this way. CBD oil is also sometimes referred to as a tincture, but there is another distinction that can come into play. Some tinctures include other ingredients (for example, this Koi’s Natural tincture contains spearmint) and are formulated for more specific purposes.
- Capsules and Pills: CBD that comes in a capsule or a pill is an excellent choice for those who want a slow, steady release of CBD. This delivery method is also great for those who may find the taste of CBD oil to be strong. Capsules and pills offer a convenient, discreet delivery method that is also ideal for people who want to take their CBD on the go. For best results, you should have a consistent routine in which you take CBD pills around the same time each day.
- Concentrates and Oil Extracts: Vaping and dabbing are highly relaxing activities for many people, and so it’s no surprise that many people choose to take their CBD via a form that’s made to be inhaled. This is also said to increase the potency since this CBD form is concentrated, and inhaling a substance generally speeds up your ability to feel its effects. It’s important to note that regular CBD oil should not be vaped or dabbed. Instead, you have to opt for products that are specifically made for vaping and dabbing purposes, like oil extracts, butters, waxes, shatters, and CBD crystallines. This delivery form is great for people who need quick relief for specific ailments.
- Edibles and Gummies: The sweetest delivery form, people love edibles and gummies simply because, well, they’re candies for adults that come with seriously amazing health benefits! This delivery form is not intended for quick, immediate relief; that’s because there are added ingredients that reduce the potency, and the process of digestion also means that the CBD is more slowly absorbed. However, this is another great CBD type for continuous support and overall well-being — with the added benefit of being delicious! If candy isn’t your thing, check out our CBD honey sticks or our CBD grape syrup. If candy is your thing, then read about our favorite sweet-tooth-satisfiers here.
- Topical CBD: Creams, sprays, and lotions — topical CBDs are loved by those who have sore muscles or aches and pains. They are also great options for beginners and are perfect for on-the-go pain relief. Applying the CBD-infused treatment directly to the ailing area provides fast-acting relief. Consider this cream that contains CBD, caffeine, and white willow bark, or perhaps try a CBD spray.
Helpful Tips to Consider as You Determine Your Dose
We know that it can be frustrating to not have clear dosing guidelines to begin your CBD journey. As such, we wanted to include some helpful tips that can assist you as you begin learning how your body reacts to CBD.
Clarify Your Goals
The first thing you need to do before you start taking CBD is to really get clarity around why you’re using it and what it is that you want to achieve. This is important for you to understand so you can see if the CBD is effectively treating what you set out to take it for. For example, let’s say you have achy knees and want to take CBD to alleviate aches and pains. You begin with a dose of 25mg twice daily, as we listed above, but after a week of using this dose — you are still experiencing some achiness in your knees. This is feedback from your body that gives you a green light to increase your dose. However, without clarity around your goal, then you wouldn’t know what to look for when you evaluate how your body is responding to CBD use. Make sure you jot down your goals with as many specific details as possible so you can determine if CBD is really the right route of treatment for you. To help you with this, we’ve curated our products by health benefit to help those of you who are seeking out CBD for specific functions. Take a look:
- CBD for Joint Pain & Inflammation
- CBD for Muscle Pain & Soreness
- CBD for Pets
- CBD for Skin Care
- CBD for Sleep Support
- CBD for Stress & Mood
Keep a Journal
No matter where you are in your wellness journey, keeping a health journal is a great idea so that you can find patterns and discover what is or is not working for you. It’s also so very helpful to have a written record to take with you to the doctor, as those on-the-spot conversations often create memory blanks! A health journal can be as detailed or as basic as you want it to be. The main considerations, when it comes to finding the right CBD dosage, are to keep the details of how much CBD you took, what form you took it in, and how it affected you. Make sure to note when you change forms, switch the doses, or otherwise deviate from your normal patterns.
Consider Where the CBD Needs to Go
As we mentioned in discussing topical CBD treatments, it’s best to apply CBD to the part of the body that you’re seeking to help. We know that many people use CBD oil for mental health (anxiety/depression) and neurological conditions, in which case you’d want to ingest the CBD. However, let’s say you’re interested in treating inflammation from arthritis. You may find that it’s better to use a spray or cream on affected areas as opposed to CBD candy. Again, keeping an experimental mindset is key to finding the perfect dosage routine for you.
Think About Timeframe: Immediate Relief or Steady, Ongoing Support?
One final factor to consider in finding the right dose for you is how much support you need and how quickly you need it. Maybe you’re only interested in helping relieve stress before an important meeting, or perhaps you have a chronic illness that you need ongoing support for. This will determine how frequently you use CBD. As for how quickly it begins to work, this will mostly determine the form of delivery that you choose. Remember that potent concentrates that are inhaled kick in very quickly, whereas something that is ingested like an edible takes a bit longer to work.
CBD Dosing for Pets
We can’t end this blog without talking about dosing for your four-legged friends! Again, there is no standard dose for animals, so you’ll have to experiment a little bit to find what works best for your fur babies. Start with 1-5 mg CBD for every 10 pounds of your pet’s body weight, and see what works with that baseline. You’ll know if you need to increase or decrease the dose based on your pet’s behavior. If you’re curious about how CBD oil can help your pets, read this blog that we wrote on the topic. We offer lots of exciting options for cats and dogs, from CBD beef jerky to pet spray through to regular CBD oil formulated for pets.
We know that it would be helpful to have more specific dosing guidelines for those who are new to CBD, and we’re excited to see how research emerges and enhances the way that we use CBD oil to improve our health and well-being. Until then, we hope that these basic guidelines are helpful to you and that you find the right regiment that works for you! If you need more support in finding the right CBD products and dosing, we’re more than happy to help. Simply reach out to us and we’ll get you feeling the powerful benefits of CBD in no time!